Tuesday, August 13, 2013

BEDA Day 13: Is Toner Really Worth it?

Hello everyone and welcome to Day 13 of BEDA!!!

Today we are going to talk all about toners.

Toners, for many years, have been considered an essential part of the skin care regimen. Toners are formulated to be used after your cleanser. They are to be used after your skin is dried to remove any excess makeup and dirt that your cleanser may have forgotten so that you moisturizer and serum can go on smoothly.

I have read some conflicting arguments on toners and their properties and whether or not they are really beneficial to your daily routines. One article suggested that in todays advanced array of cleansers that get the job done, toner is really just an unnecessary added cost that you can avoid. Whereas other articles claim that toners today do so much more, such as minimize pores or even contain anti-aging properties.

For me, I can only speak through my personal experience with using toners and without using toners. Over a year ago I was not using toners. I found them to be quite a pain and really not worth my time but I had decided, because of some breakouts I had been having, to totally revamp my skin care regimen and get it to a place that it needed to be in order for my skin to look the best that it could. During this time I purchased my Clarisonic, which I just reviewed and you can check out that link here.  The Clarisonic is known to remove makeup and impurities 6 times more effectively than cleansing alone, so with that claim I thought I wouldn't ever need a toner because what else could a toner remove from my skin that my Clarisonic could not? Well a few months ago, I decided to change just one thing in my skin care routine and that is that I decided to get a toner. I went for a cheap, gentle version by Nivea and before I knew it, I was in love with toners.





My toner made my skin more balanced and even. I couldn't even explain it. Just by adding a toner to my regimen my skin was more even toned, less bumpy, and more vibrant. I had seen first hand the benefits of just adding an inexpensive but effective toner can really do.

There are many different toners out there that offer different benefits and you can choose one to suit your needs.

Be careful though with toner selection because many contain alcohol and if you have sensitive skin you want to make sure that the label specifies "alcohol free" or "gentle formula".

I have three toners that I alternate with depending on what I need.

The Nivea Gentle Toner for Dry/ Sensitive Skin is a go to no fail toner that really gets the job done without irritating my skin.

I also like the Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Rose Petal Toner. This toner contains witch hazel which is especially great for acne prone skin.

Another great one for preventing aging is the Origins A Perfect World Antioxidant Liquid Moisture with White Tea. This toner is great because it really does help with aging signs, it smells amazing, and it is super natural and gentle and does not sting my skin at all.


Try and incorporate a toner in your skin regimen and hopefully you will notice a difference as well.

I hope you enjoyed Day 13 of BEDA!

Stay Happy!

- Cate W.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips