Wednesday, August 28, 2013

BEDA Day 28: Is the GHD Hair Straightening Iron Worth the Hefty Price Tag?

Hello everyone and welcome to Day 28 of BEDA!!!

Today I am doing another review but this time on a hair product.

A year ago my Conair straightener died and it was a sad moment for me because I had it in my life for a long time and it was quite reliable and worked well for me and it ran its course.

I have pretty straight hair that has a bit of a wave to it naturally so for me I don't require a fancy shmancy straightener but I decided to splurge and pay the very expensive price tag on the GHD flat iron. It is a lot of money but I heard great things and I wanted it so I saved up to buy it.

Today I am going to talk about whether or not I think it is worth the added cost over another, cheaper straightener.


So the GHD comes with only one heat setting that is not adjustable which is a bit of a downer, especially if your hair is straighter and you don't need too high of a setting. The pre setting that it comes with is set at anywhere between 175 to 185 degrees Celsius which can get quite hot but luckily your hand won't feel the heat because of the iron's tough and thick exterior coating.

The GHD also comes with an automatic off switch that will turn off when not in use which is another handy feature for those who may forget to turn their straighteners off after use.
The straightener also heats up quite fast which is great for on the go busy people who do not have the time to wait around for a straightener to heat up.

Now on to the functionality. The GHD does make your hair very smooth and super straight when you use it. I have even tried it on my mother's curly and unruly hair and it really does smooth it out but... so do other straighteners.

The ceramic plates are said to be less damaging to hair than any other brand. I always use heat protectant regardless but I don't find this to be very true. I find that my hair felt just the same after I used my Conair straightener as well.


Final Verdict: Many people swear by the GHD but I really don't see it as something that is necessary. There are so many innovative and great hair straightening tools out there that are a fraction of the cost and will do just as well for you hair. I don't think you need to spend the almost $300.00 (with tax) for this item. I use it now because I already have spent the money but going back I would really go for something that was even half the cost.

Thank's for reading Day 28 of BEDA. I hope you enjoyed and I will see you all tomorrow :)

Stay Happy!

- Cate W.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips