Wednesday, March 5, 2014

10 Things to Do in Vegas If You're Not a Party Person

I'm back from Vegas now so I wanted to update you on my favourite parts of the trip. I'm not a party or club type of person, so for those of you who'd rather avoid Vegas for that reason, I wanted to let you know that there is more to see and do beyond drinking and gambling. Here's my top 10:



1. Walk the Strip and See the Sights
There is so much to do and see just walking down the strip. Please pack good runners if you plan to do this as well, I've heard horror stories.

2. The Bellagio Fountains
Just walking by the water without the fountains going is beautiful, but it's truly spectacular to see it in all it's glory.


3. Beatles Love (or any Cirque de Soliel show)
Cate and I saw this show for the first time when we went to Vegas a few years ago. It is amazing, I can't recommend it enough! I've heard so many good things about all the Cirque shows, I'm sure whatever one you pick would be fantastic.



4. Eat dessert.
Chocolate Pie from Carmine's.
The Cheesecake Factory (at Caesar's Palace): Hershey's Chocolate Cheesecake and Fresh Strawberry Cheesecake.
Chocolate-covered strawberries from Starbucks (we don't have these at my store in Canada!).

And you can't forget Serendipity's Frozen Hot Chocolate.

SO. MUCH. FOOD.



5. Flamingo's Flamingos
I loved seeing these fellows in person, along with a black swan and an ibis!


6. The Conservatory at the Bellagio
This time of year the gardens were all decked out for the Chinese New Year; gorgeous!

Image Curtesy of www.vegaschatter.com
7. Play the penny slots.
I'm not a gambler, but I enjoyed popping dollar bills into the classic machines.


8. Shop. Or just look at the shops like me.
There's lots of beautiful things to see in the hotels. The Venetian and Caesar's Palace have lots of fancy shops that are beautiful to behold with their blue sky ceilings and street-looking architecture. Walking through the Venetian is almost like going to Italy (complete with gondolas!) and the Paris hotel has a distinctly Parisian street cafe feel in parts.

Image curtesy of www.citytours.com
9. The Mirage Volcano
Staying at the Mirage, we had a view of the volcano from our room (and we could hear it all night!) and it is quite a sight to see.



10. Take pictures of the random, cool, interesting, weird things you see, since you will see all sorts!

The extravagance of Vegas is both alluring and nauseating at times... but I couldn't help but be amazed at both the good and the bad. It gave me a lot of things to ponder, from the folks flipping cards of naked women on the street to crowds of rowdy tourists to replicas of amazing sights from all over the world...

BONUS (since it's not actually in Vegas): Seeing the Grand Canyon
You might think it's overrated or can't possibly be as awe-inspiring as everyone says, but it is. I didn't go this trip, but Cate and I went a few years ago and it was one of my favourite parts of the trip.



Have you been to Vegas? How was your trip and what were your must sees?

-Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips