Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscar 2014 Fashion: Cate and Meg's Top Picks

Now we love the Oscars here, partly because we are giant movie buffs but also because like many gals out there, we adore the red carpet.

The glitz, the glam, and all those designer dresses. We love to ogle them. Probably because we could never afford them but hey a girl can dream right?

Meg had this awesome idea for both of us to showcase our top 5 Red Carpet Looks for this years Academy Awards and I fell in love with the idea.

So here are our top 5 picks...

MEG'S PICKS


Kerry Washington in Jason Wu

Images Courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

Cate must have been absolutely torn between her love of  Olivia Wilde and her love of Kerry Washington... however, I think Kerry won out on this one! Her lilac purple draped gown with a deep slit looked ethreal on her, especially paired with her wavy hair and dark lip. Now this is how you dress for the Oscars when your pregnant: take note Drew Barrymore!

Emma Watson in Vera Wang

Images Courtesy of dailymail.co.uk

One of my absolute favourites of the night! Emma Watson was stunning in this elegant, metallic gown. She always looks so classy, yet modern. Although I adored her silver clutch, I wish she had a bright red clutch instead! Guess I'll have to settle for her red lip.

Cate Blanchette in Armani Prive

Images Courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

Cate Blanchette absolutely shined in her goldish nude dress covered in sparkly diamonds. I feel like this dress is absolutely one of those ones you have to see while she's moving, not just in pictures. You need to see the shimmer. Cate mentioned to Ryan Seacrest that it was heavy- perhaps it's the light bouncing on it that makes it look so light and heavenly.

Naomi Watts in Calvin Klein

Images Courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

I feel like Naomi always looks great and yet she's quite underrated. Her delicately beaded white dress at the Oscars was not only beautiful, but was balanced nicely with her edgy and sleek blowout and geometric necklace. I read that her kids picked out her dress, d'aww.

Joseph Gordon Levitt in Calvin Klein
Image Courtesy of oscar.go.com

And to round it off, Joseph Gordon Levitt shows men everywhere how to wear a suit. I'll just be over here fanning myself- enough said!

CATE'S PICKS


Lupita Nyong'o in Prada
 Image Courtesy of huffingtonpost.com


Image Courtesy of dailymail.co.uk

Image Courtesy of eonline.com

I don't think any red carpet this year is complete without Lupita Nyong'o. She won best dressed on so many fashion sites when she rocked that red Ralph Lauren gown with a cape at the Golden Globes and she made no exception here in this gorgeous pale blue Prada gown. I love that she always keeps her makeup and accessories so simple. 

Olivia Wilde in Valentino
Image Coutesy of hollywoodlife.com

Image Coutesy of eonline.com

Image Courtesy of eonline.com

It is no secret to anyone that knows me that I am a bit obsessed with Olivia Wilde and I have just been loving her pregnant red carpet looks. I would imagine it would be hard to find a gown that works well when you have a growing baby bump but Olivia always looks great. This dress is classic and shows off her bump really well. I also loved her Emerald Green Golden Globes Gucci gown this year. 

Maria Menounos in Johanna Johnson
Image Courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

Image Courtesy of eonline.com

I fell in love with this whole look as soon as I saw it. Maria is not an actress, she is covering the Oscar Red Carpet for Extra TV but you wouldn't be able to tell. I love everything about this look from the hair, to the simple jewels, to the slight bling on the dress. I also think Maria had one of the best hairstyles on the red carpet. I love the loose braided up do. I also love the nude lip paired with the bolder eye makeup.

Kristen Bell in Roberto Cavalli 

Images Courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

Normally, I tend to like the more simpler dresses with less of an elaborate train but I really love this, especially the fabric on the train. I also really like this colour which is quite popular on the Red Carpet this year. One thing I am not too fond of is the hairstyle. I like the way it looks from the back but not so much in the front. Regardless, I think Kristen looked stunning. 

Kate Hudson in Atelier Versace
Image courtesy of hollywoodlife.com

Image Courtesy of eonline.com

This is probably my favourite. Kate Hudson looks smoking in everything she wears. I always am a fan of her red carpet looks. She is always able to pull off mixing classic with edgy and she does that perfectly here. I absolutely love the shoulders (which I believe is a removable piece because I saw Kate sans shoulder attachment sitting in her seat), plunging neckline, and smokey eyes which gives this look an edge but she is able to stay classic with her soft waves pulled to one side. She also does the whole smokey eye and nude lip we see on Maria Menounos. 

So do you agree with our favourite looks? Who do you think rocked this years Oscar Red Carpet? 

Make sure to share your opinions in the comments below. 

- Cate & Meg





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips